Skip Navigation

Visa & Immigration

The U.S. visa process can be difficult to navigate; however, this information will help you complete this process successfully.

To study in the United States, foreign students must obtain a student (F) or exchange visitor (J) visa. Once students have been accepted to Indiana Tech and issued a certificate of eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019), they are encouraged to contact the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate to schedule a visa appointment.

Students are directed to comply with the nonimmigrant visa appointment requirements of the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest to their home.

Note: We cannot release an I-20 until you have been accepted into the university.

What documents do I need?

These are typical documents needed for a visa interview:

  • Passport
  • A printed copy of your DS-160 application confirmation page
  • Visa application payment receipt
  • Acceptance letter from Indiana Tech
  • Proof of financial ability
  • Photo taken no more than six months ago
  • Proof of Relationship (if applying with/for dependent/s)

Because requirements and stipulations change between U.S. embassies and consulates, we highly encourage visiting the nonimmigrant visa webpage of the U.S. embassy or consulate nearest you.

Visa Interview Guidance

The Visa Interview Guide provides helpful guidelines concerning the I-901 fee, scheduling of visa appointment and tips for the interview.